Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Heirs Of God's Kingdom


The world has a nasty habit of dividing us.  We are all categorized based on our race, our religion, our age, our gender, etc.  Even in our family relationships, we are divided. 

Coming from a blended family myself, I can testify that the world attempted to divide us.  I never recognized my older sister as a “half sister”, even though we had different biological fathers.  I never heard my father referred to as her “step father”.  Those categories did not exist in my family though outsiders attempted to force the world’s labels and categories on us.  I never felt like my older sister was less of my sister because of our different biology.  To me, she was and still is just my sister. 

It bothers me to hear families divided into categories.  There should be no “step”, “half”, “foster”, “adopted”, etc.  You are either a part of the family or you’re not.  Plain and simple.  I have recently realized this way of thinking, my way of thinking, is not the world’s way.  It is the Kingdom Way.

Romans 4 details that Abraham was credited with righteousness because of his faith; not because he was a Jew.  There are many passages in the New Testament Epistles where Paul explains to Christians that being a Jew or being circumcised doesn’t automatically give you favor with God.  Your faith is what sets you apart and gives you salvation.  After Jesus Christ was sacrificed for our sins, His blood covered us all.  His blood made all believers heirs of God.  So I don’t have to be born into a Jewish blood line or get myself circumcised to attain salvation.  I just need faith (to start with anyway…).

Romans 8 states that those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.  We must obey God and carry ourselves like we are His children because we are!  In a household with natural born children, stepchildren and foster children, you will find that they all have different levels of respect and obedience towards the parent/guardian.  The natural born children know they belong to the family and therefore are more likely to be obedient and show respect to the parent.  The stepchildren may be obedient and show respect when it’s convenient.  The foster children, knowing this is a temporary home, may have zero respect and obedience toward their guardian.   Likewise, the natural parent will stop at nothing to provide for their children.  The step parent or foster parent may not feel the same obligation or responsibility for the children in their care.  Now, this is based on the world’s standard.  If it doesn’t apply to your situation, that’s great!  But we all know that the world operates opposite than God operates.

I am so thankful that God, my Father, is not like an earthly father.  And though I am a Gentile, I am not treated with neglect or abuse.  He loves me with the same love He had for Abraham, because I am saved by grace through faith.  All of us are under the penalty of death through the sin of Adam but because of Jesus’ death and resurrection, we can be born again, made new and receive eternal life as an heir to the kingdom of God! 

So stop acting like God’s step child!  He is waiting for you to walk in faith that you have a seat at the dinner table with Jesus.  Get rid of the doubt that clouds your mind.  That is the devil trying to destroy you and bring you back into your sinful nature.  You are a rightful heir and salvation is yours.      

No comments:

Post a Comment