Monday, March 27, 2017

We...Can Be...New


I have been obsessed with Amel Larrieux for several years.  Her voice is so magical, I am confident it holds the cure for every disease.  You just have to listen to her to understand… Prepare to be blown away!

One of my favorite songs by Amel is “We Can Be New”.  Yes, it is a love song but to me, it is much more than a romantic ballad.  To me, it is a song of hope.  It inspires the listener not to dwell on the past –hurts, fears, disappointments, loss – but to look forward to experiencing love, healing, restoration and happiness.  In order to “get over” the past, you have to leave it all behind.  Amel says to shed it off like trees do with leaves.  In the fall, those dead leaves fall off and expose a vulnerable, naked tree.  Eventually the spring comes with life and new leaves to make the tree appear stronger and more beautiful than before!

One of my favorite testimonies of hope is the story of Joseph in the Old Testament.  He was his father’s favorite child and was probably spoiled beyond imagination.  He faced adversity from his jealous siblings and ultimately they got rid of him and told their father he was dead.  Joseph spent some time in prison and spent some time as a servant.  During those low times, the spoiled son of a wealthy man could have wallowed in sadness and despair but he chose to be hopeful.  Eventually, he experiences a change in his life and he was appointed to a position of royalty!  He was reunited with his family and they all lived happily ever after.  Living happily ever after was a choice.  If he had held on to anger and unforgiveness, his story would have turned out much different.  I am glad he chose to turn something bad into something good.  Now Joseph’s story inspires millions of people around the world and across generations.   

Life is filled with hardships but I am a firm believer that no matter what you are faced with, you must figure out how to overcome and move on.  I don’t like to lose when I am very passionate and committed to something.  Heck, I don’t believe anyone does!  When I experience loss and disappointment, I usually take it pretty hard and wallow in my feelings for a while.  I am learning to stop wallowing and expedite the healing.  I expedite the healing by thinking and speaking words of positivity and hope in reference to my situation.  If I am sad and speak and think sadness, I will stay sad.  If I am sad but speak and think joy, I will have joy.  It’s about as magical as Amel’s voice.  You just have to try it to understand…  Prepare to be blown away!


No comments:

Post a Comment